Saturday, September 8, 2007

Saturday Social Craft Event

Saturday, September 8, 2007 - Saturday Social Craft Event

Well today I went and helped Jen and Cindy with the Social Craft Event they had at her Grandma's/Mom's Apartment Complex. There were some interesting people...three ladies who stopped in were very nice, one crocheted for about 20 minutes (she is having surgery on her eyes soon), one who was very nice and brought a picture of a sweater she made when she was young (she started knitting when she was 6) and a third lady who would like to do some crafting but she has tremors and is unable to (she was very nice). Then came the card playing group and they had nothing nice to say...first the room is too cold (so I politely turn the air conditioning up so it warms up), then it is too warm (so I move the cushions that were in the way of the air blowing over by them and they tell me if they aren't put back they will get in trouble), then our machines are too loud and we talk to loud (I think I kicked my speaking voice up a decibel or two ). Anyways it was nice to spend time with Jen, Cindy, Arlene, and I got to meet Kitty and Kari.

I also got a lot done today. I fussy cut the borders for my mother-in-law's quilt (which ended up being too small so I had to re-cut and pray that there was enough fabric when I got home). I also cut and sewed all of the parts for my block of the month quilt so I am hoping to work on putting that together this week. I was going to work on a run around purse by Lazy Girl but I did not get it started...hopefully tomorrow or the next weekend. When I wasn't sure if I would have enough fabric for the borders, I called Jen in a panic...she needed to talk me down because I was so upset with myself. I also had several other problems this evening but in the end it turned out really nice. Jen is going to download a picture for me on one of the two websites. Tonight I also cut the binding for the quilt and tomorrow I will sew it and iron it so that it is ready when I am done layering and quilting the top. The quilt will either be a birthday present or Christmas present...I am going to let my husband pick out which one.

On Friday, Jen and I are going to go to Block of the Month Club so that I can get this basted; I am going to try the basting gun that Jen has (I wonder if I need to bring masking tape like I do when pin basting - I better find out!) I also don't know if I will use invisible thread or if I will use colored thread. What do the rest of you do when you quilt the top?

Hope everyone is getting a chance to quilt!

Maureen

Saturday, September 8, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
sounds like you got alot done, even with the hateful people there. Can't wait to see this quilt. Kristie

Sunday, September 9, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Cre8tiveQuilter
I think I do a completely different kind of basting than you do! I've never used masking tape in my life. Since I'm self taught I just lay all three pieces down and smooth them out. Then I work from one end to the other basting as I go and re-smoothing as needed. With the basting gun, you really want your hand under the quilt so that the tacks go all the way through...or a crate thingie; and I never bought one of those because of the way that I baste. If you want to do pins and masking tape it down; that's fine too!! I'll still help baste that way.

Sunday, September 9, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by lori
There's always a bad egg in every crowd ,still you got a lot done ,good for you

No comments: