Wednesday, September 19, 2007

How do I follow up ... Here's Emma

Thank you for all the comments on Emma...she is quite the spoiled puppy! Okay she is a 2 year old dog but forever I will call her puppy. She is a lot of fun but she is very active except for right now when she is laying on the couch cuddling.

Last night was so much fun! I am a student volunteer for a Beginning Quilting class taught by my friend and quilting mentor, Wendy Rieves.

She has inspired me since the beginning...okay in the beginning she had to convince me that I could first sew a strait line and then cut a straight line and finally that I would definitely have a huge stash one day.

WELL my stash is huge and growing my leaps and bounds...but I think the most fun for me is seeing the excitement on the new quilters faces. I have been helping for about five or six years. As a student volunteer I help the students with threading machines, helping them learn to rotary cut, how to figure out a scant 1/4", color selections, etc. I think I get as much out of it as they do. I just feel good when I walk out of the classroom.

I was working on some of my homework for the class that I have coming up this weekend. It is a color confidence class...I just know that I really want to take it to firm up all the concepts I have in my head plus to see if there are things I don't know. I at one time was an art major in college...I ended up with a business degree and two majors one in Marketing and the other in Human Resource Management.

I am also going to look at my Egg Money Quilt Book again tonight and start thinking about fabric I want to use for it. I am thinking batiks. I also have to pick out some fabrics for the table runner we are making in the beginning class. I have a kit that Wendy put together that I am going to make for myself. I also need to make one for my Mom. It has to be in blues...she said a little yellow is okay too. Ohh I also have to start cutting strips for my class on Saturday but I will probably do that on Friday night. I am a procrastinator - unfortunately.

Maureen

5 comments:

Michelle said...

It doesn't sound like you procrastinate much to me!!!!
Hope you are having a great week!
Michelle

Cindy said...

It sounds like you really enjoy the volunteering with the beginning class. See you soon I hope.

Kristie said...

I think it is great that you volunteer to help others. I have a couple of friends that I have taught how to quilt and the look on their faces were just priceless!! At first they didn't understand, and I told them, it's like an addiction, you can't stop! And they haven't stopped yet!!!!

Sounds like you have enough to keep you busy for a while. Can't wait to see photos of all your stuff.
Kristie

Moneik said...

I would love to do that kind of volunteer work. I love to teach and help new quilters. Sounds like you enjoy it a lot. I'm a procrastinator too, so don't worry, as long as it done it's on your time and that's okay.

Jen said...

Thanks for helping my cousin learn to quilt!!