Thursday, January 17, 2008

So Sick and Tired of Allergies

I just got off the phone with the allergist. I see him tomorrow at 10:30 AM to discuss options for my allergies. My eyes are really swollen...in fact my left one was a slit this morning. I am using Patanol to help keep the itching down but well with no allergy medication I am really stuck. I have to take Prednisone to help with the swelling & itching. I am sooooooo tired of allergies. I ended up staying home today because of how bad they itched. In fact they were bright red (the upper and lower lid) and puffy. Well needless to say when I talked to my supervisor she was understanding and as people would have thought that I had pink eye or something it would not have looked good as I work with the public in a county job.

This all occurred because I was using a paper folding machine and it threw so much dust in the air that my eyes were swelling yesterday but I thought it would be fine when I woke up. No not the case in fact it was worse! I told the allergist what I was doing and he told me that I should consider getting goggles or a face mask that covers my eyes, nose and mouth. Ohh wouldn't that be attractive at work! I am sure that, that would go over well...LOL! Okay who wants to wear a mask at work if they work in an office. I have to vent my frustration as this would not be happening if my insurance company would cover my allergy medication. So I have been going without and I have been miserable. I keep hoping that the next day will be better but it doesn't in fact my allergies are getting worse and worse. I will be talking about options tomorrow and hopefully we will find an answer! I am going to call HR at work tomorrow and see if they can find out what medication will be covered as Zyrtec is soon going to be over the counter and it was the only covered medication...this should be interesting to say the least. I know he is going to want me to start on allergy shots again but can I handle it without allergy medication...that's the next question.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I wasn't aware that you had to be off allergy meds while getting shots. When I was supposed to start mine that was never mentioned. I just had to be off for the 2 weeks before I had my updated scratch tests.

Take your company info from your entry or abreviate it or something!!

Cindy said...

Hang in there kiddo. I know just how you feel because if it's out there I'm allergic to it. I did 5+ years of shots and I don't think my allergies got that much better. Just remember you're not alone out there.

Anonymous said...

Wow sorry to heat that you are feeling so miserable hope you feel better.

Heather