Saturday, November 1, 2008

I was envious...

I was so envious of a friend's quilt! I had to make one. First I had to get the pattern...Jen, the friend I was envious of, told me it was Baker's Square, so I had to get my hands on that pattern. Then I loved the fabric so I was in search of the fabric. Which fabric line would capture my heart and imagination you might ask? SMORES! I had to find a layer cake so when we went to Madison that was the quest I was on. Then I needed additional fabric and the icon fabric was sold out at the quilt shop I normally go to...bummer. I searched in Madison...no go! Now what...I ventured out on the internet and there it was...the Smores fabric. I found an on-line store where I could purchase 1/2 yard cuts so I had more than enough. They also had charm packs so I bought two of those. Good thing I did because there was a little bit of a cutting fiasco with one of the major fabrics so I went into the two packs for that fabric (the rickrack fabric). So I cut the fabric to take it with me to my quilting retreat...but I decided to sew one row just to see how it looked. I ended up finishing all three of the A, B, and C rows so on retreat I only had to finish up the D rows and put them together as well as put the borders on. Here it is:



Well once that was done I then had to make a matching tote...what else is a girl to do? The only thing missing from the tote is a button on the front pocket and a friend of mine told me she had one for me. It is a snowflake, how appropriate for a Smores Charm Tote.

I still need to finish the quilt and add a button to the tote but I am much farther than when I left for quilt retreat. I sure love this fabric...thanks Jen for showing it to me.

3 comments:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Looks great and I'm so happy to see you back in blogland! Welcome back!

Kristie said...

Beautiful! Love the fabrics! I also have that tote pattern, it is on my "To Do List"
Kristie

Cindy said...

Hey Maureen you ever going to update this blog???????? Come on girl get back into it.